Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Random writing related links

Grey Matter Press puts up interesting links [on Facebook] from time to time related to writing. Here's a couple that grabbed my attention. Some of them I knew already and others are new.

http://colinfalconer.wordpress.com/2012/06/04/10-great-writing-tips-from-10-great-writers/

Tip #2 & #10 are the ones that hit home the closest for me. I'm always skipping words and been told by my beta-readers, more details!


http://www.onlinecollege.org/2010/05/17/50-iconic-writers-who-were-repeatedly-rejected/
Some of the links are dead, but the others make fora good read. Judy Blume [#40] & Rudyard Kipling [#43] stand out as having received particularly harsh rejections. EE Cummings [#39] got of dig at his detractors in one of his books. On the other hand, I can see what publishers might have stayed away from Vladmir Nabokov's Lolita [#31] and Richard Bach's book about seagulls [#24]. Not that I approve, but I can see why they would be gunshy. New, interesting, and potentially uncomfortable subjects should be written about, not just the stock, formulaic series. Isaac Asimov holds an interesting place for me. I find his stories to be boring. Most of the interesting stuff happens off screen. The writing is good, but when I read his Foundation series, there was no connection, no investment in the characters or what was going on. It was dry and boring.

There's still a plan to put up some prose, but in the mean time, back to banging out some words.

No comments:

Post a Comment